Northeast Ohio Medical University
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2023
Please see Special Instructions for more details.
To continue our efforts to keep the campus community as healthy and safe as possible, NEOMED will now require COVID-19 and influenza vaccinations as a condition of attendance and employment. This policy will allow for exemption of the vaccination requirement for those individuals with valid medical reasons, sincerely held religious beliefs and matters of conscience.
|Full or Part Time
Position Summary Information
Under the direction of the Assistant Director, perform lab animal care; provide training to Lab Technician and Lab Aide staff; assist the Supervisor with facility and equipment maintenance and repair. Manage the Health Surveillance Program, animal health triage, and conduct surgical support and training to internal and external customers.
Northeast Ohio Medical University is an AA/EEO Employer. The university has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion and to maintaining working and learning environments that are free from all forms of discrimination. Women, individuals with disabilities, veterans and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pay Grade: 7
Starting Salary Range: $19.79 – $23.41
Location: Rootstown, OH
Benefits Offerings Include:
- Training Offerings, including LSS Green & Yellow Belt and other professional development
- Competitive Health, Vision, Dental
- Flexible Spending Account
- State Retirement with 14% matching
- Excellent Vacation and Sick Time
- 11 Paid Holiday Days
- Wellness Offerings
- Short and Long Term Disability Coverage
- Long Term Care Coverage Offerings
- Life Insurance
For additional details visit: https://www.neomed.edu/hr/benefits/
|Principal Functional Responsibilities
1) Perform animal husbandry including cleaning, sanitization, and preparation of caging and accessories. Assist in animal room and facility sanitation. May work rotating weekend and holiday shifts.
2) Monitoring supplies of chemicals, drugs, feed, and bedding needed for the day-to-day operations in assigned areas. Order supplies under the direction of the Supervisor.
3) Coordinates and assist researchers with importing and exporting animals to/from external institutions. Manages the cross-foster and quarantine program.
4) Coordinates and assists with animal-based research projects. Monitors supplies and equipment within the CMU surgical suite. Provides management and/or direct oversight of animal surgical cases as needed.
5) Under the direction of the Veterinarian, evaluates reported sick animals, diagnosing and recommending course of action. Oversees, schedules and performs sentinel testing for colony animals and quarantine animals.
6) Training and evaluation of routine laboratory skills, such as handling, blood draws, drug administration, etc. to internal and external customers.
7) Perform other duties as assigned
Education/Degrees: Associate degree in Veterinary Technology, AALAS Technician Certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician required.
Experience: Five or more years of animal care experience, 3 or more years’ experience in the Laboratory Animal Science field, and 1 year in a leadership role. Basic computer skills in MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook. Experience with animal health triage, anesthesia /surgery is a must.
|Key Skills, Personal Characteristics, and Key Competencies
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral communications.
• Ability to effectively accommodate variable workloads and to prioritize tasks.
• Ability to communicate tasks and assignments to other technical and administrative staff.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with others.
• Knowledge of care, feeding, handling, restraining, and medicating various laboratory animals.
• Knowledge of proper use of caging, equipment, animal foods, methods and routines of animal colony managements, etc.
• Knowledge of medical terminology and operating room procedures.
• Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures, standard operating procedures affecting the work environment.
• Knowledge of proper use of surgical equipment such
Leadership: NEOMED creates positive change by educating and training Ohio’s next generation of health professionals, educators and researchers through experiential learning, high-impact research, strategic partnerships and innovation. By designing an environment where ideas and connections can flourish, NEOMED is transforming health care.
Exceptional Experience: By creating a welcoming, supportive and well-resourced environment, NEOMED sets the stage for meaningful interactions among its students, faculty, staff, alumni, partners and community members. The University empowers every individual to participate fully in the campus experience and the community that NEOMED serves.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: NEOMED recognizes, appreciates and celebrates all of the ways-from backgrounds to viewpoints-that people are different. The University’s culture is grounded in respect and thrives on the uniqueness of each individual. NEOMED encourages everyone’s participation by fostering policies and practices that ensure fair and just access, treatment and opportunities for all.
People: Talent is NEOMED’s most valuable asset. The University invests in developing its faculty and staff to realize their fullest potential. As it works to attract and retain a diverse workforce and student body, NEOMED embraces opportunity and growth across all levels of the institution.
AALAS Technician Certification at the Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) desired.
Must be able to utilize applicable equipment necessary for the job, as well as basic office equipment. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, reach, stoop, kneel, sit; talk; and hear. Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Posting Detail Information
|NEOMED EEO Statement
NEOMED is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, status as a parent during pregnancy and immediately after the birth of a child, status as a parent of a young child, status as a foster parent, veteran status or any other category protected by applicable state or federal law. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, NEOMED also affirms its commitment to nondiscrimination in its employment policies and practices. In compliance with Title IX (20 U.S.C Sec. 1681 et seq.), NEOMED prohibits sex discrimination, including sexual harassment.
For concerns regarding discrimination, please contact:
Title IX Coordinator
Northeast Ohio Medical University
NEOMED requests that you provide the voluntary information requested below. It will be kept separate from your application, in a confidential and limited access file, to be used for statistical compilation and analysis for Human Resources record keeping and reporting purposes. Your response will not be used in any way to determine your eligibility for employment. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
|Notification of Annual Security Report.
The Northeast Ohio Medical University is committed to assisting all members of the NEOMED community in providing for their own safety and security. The annual security report is available on the NEOMED website at https://www.neomed.edu/police/clery-act/annual-report/.
The annual security report contains information regarding campus security and personal safety including topics such as: crime prevention, authority of university police and security officers, crime reporting policies, and other matters of importance related to security and safety on campus.
Additionally, the report contains information about crime statistics for the three previous calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by NEOMED; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.
If you would like a paper copy of this report, please email email@example.com or call the Department of Public Safety at 330.325.5911 to request a copy.
This information is required by law and is provided by the Northeast Ohio Medical University Department of Public Safety.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an Ohio State Veterinary Technician license?
- * What is your highest level of AALAS Technician Certification?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application