Manager, Data Analytics
About JumpStart Inc.
JumpStart is a non-profit venture development organization whose mission is to unlock the full potential of entrepreneurship to transform entire communities and our vision is to collaborate with partners to generate dramatically improved and inclusive economic outcomes by supporting diverse entrepreneurs, optimizing entrepreneurial ecosystems, and accelerating innovation.
Key to JumpStart's success is its ability to leverage the skills, experience, and creativity of its inspired team to transform entrepreneurial aspirations into actions with measurable impact. JumpStart leaders and teammates take great pride in JumpStart being a highly demanding yet incredibly fun place to work.
The Manager, Data Analytics, serves as the owner and primary manager of JumpStart's data and is responsible for creating and implementing an overall data strategy to support the organization's goals and objectives. He/She will work closely with senior leadership and line-of-business owners (program managers), and the IT/Systems team to design and implement data collection processes and analytics to enable repeatable, scalable, and reliable access to performance metrics and leading indicators.
Collecting, verifying, analyzing, and reporting performance metrics is an essential function within JumpStart. As a venture development organization with many strategic and philanthropic partnerships, supporters, and stakeholders, data gathering, and reporting are essential to demonstrating the impact and effectiveness of our work. Data also provides significant opportunities for JumpStart to be a leader that proposes new initiatives and makes data-driven decisions.
The Manager, Data Analytics, is JumpStart's thought leader and resident Subject Matter Expert on data best practices. They guide the organization around the three pillars of data: trust, literacy, and governance.
- Trust: Establish trust in reported data by managing how data is collected, stored, formatted, and accessed throughout the life cycle of programs and their evolution. Ensure we have "good" data as input.
- Literacy: Educate and empower senior leadership, program managers, and staff on how they can leverage data for decision-making, how we collect data, why, how we use data, and how to access it (self-help, always on).
- Governance: Establish and implement processes for data tracking and audits. Work closely with the IT/Systems team to design a sustainable and scalable data infrastructure and create proper documentation.
The Manager, Data Analytics works closely with internal stakeholders and external funders, clients, and partners to understand, document, and analyze data against business objectives. Attention to detail, strong quantitative skills, and a collaborative work style are fundamental characteristics that will lead to success in this role.
Essential Job Functions
- 40% - Data validation, visualization, and reporting: Report data to internal and external stakeholders for JumpStart programs (e.g., Entrepreneurial Services Program, Small Business, Business Growth Collaborative). Data validation. Create and uphold data governance, document processes, and follow maintenance plans to ensure reliable reporting.Collaborate with JumpStart staff to continuously improve underlying data and processes for entering data. Work with IT/Systems to identify technical requirements to design a sustainable and scalable data infrastructure. Continuously provide suggestions to improve data quality and enhance reporting capabilities.
Data visualization and reporting.Manage Data Team to review internal reporting of collected data, audit, and troubleshoot discrepancies on reports with underlying data. Develop data visualizations and dashboards for internal and external stakeholders.
- 25% - Oversee semiannual survey: Manage the Data Team to plan and implement the semiannual client surveys (ESP, Small Business, BGC) and administer surveys for other programs as needed.Engage line-of-business managers, senior leadership, and marketing to determine reporting requirements that inform data collection for report out and analysis. Define changes and improvements, establish testing mechanisms and timelines, and document processes to create a repeatable, consistent method to accommodate the growing volume of surveys (from 500 to 1,200).
Manage the data review process with the Data Team for clarity and consistency. 25% - Ad hoc requests: Respond to requests from the leadership team for financial and entrepreneurial data, data entry, and analysis on an ad hoc basis. Contribute to research, studies, and papers that further JumpStart's mission and its credibility nationally as a thought leader. Represent JumpStart as the resident data expert and participate as a thought partner/advisor with critical relationships (e.g., ODSA, Cleveland Foundation). Oversee economic impact reports (JumpStart, Ohio Venture report, others as needed). 10% - Other duties as assigned.Decision-Making ResponsibilitiesThis role has responsibility for day-to-day decisions and consults with their direct supervisor and as needed with the Chief of Staff on decisions of strategic importance and scale. Has responsibility for working with other internal and external constituents to achieve decisions and raising issues that need further consideration and decision upon by senior leaders.
The Manager, Data Analytics directly supervises:
- Data Analyst
- Data Intern(s)
Education, Training and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in statistics, economics, computer science or a related field. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience (including research) in a relevant field.
- Prior use of surveying programs including building surveys and contact lists, deploying surveys, and collecting and analyzing data from survey programs. Qualtrics knowledge strongly preferred.
- Prior use or knowledge of computer languages, database systems, and statistical analysis packages, gained through prior work or classroom experience.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office. Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) software and Microsoft PowerBI preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics
- Strong attention to detail
- Intellectual curiosity with an analytical mind
- Collaborative, team player
- Organized with the ability to multitask and be adaptable/flexible
- Capable of juggling multiple deadlines and projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
JumpStart's Core Values and Key Cultural Behaviors
- Accountability: Act to deliver on commitments and generate results, and if expectations aren't clear, ask
- Entrepreneurial: Embrace opportunity, continuous improvement, and change, and contribute to the solution as we evolve
- Equity: Committed to corrective action regarding historically underserved and underrepresented populations through entrepreneurship and innovation
- Energy: Address our work with focus, grit and enthusiasm
- Collaboration: Collaborate with others to play our most helpful role(s) and to increase effectiveness
- Humility: Balance self-assurance with listening to understand, having an open mind, and demonstrating patience
JumpStart's Definitions for Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
- Diversity: A measure of psychological, demographic, physical, and social differences occurring among any and all individuals in a specific group; including but not limited to racial identity, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, age, gender identification, sexual orientation, culture, developmental ability, and learning styles.
- Inclusion: The act of promoting and maintaining an environment in which diverse groups of individuals are welcomed, respected, supported, valued, and empowered. An environment prioritizing differences and offers respect and acceptance in the words/actions/thoughts of all people.
- Equity: An acknowledgment and understanding there are historically underserved and underrepresented populations, and corrective action regarding these unbalanced conditions is needed to eliminate barriers and guarantee equality in the provision of fair treatment, access opportunity, and advancement in the provision of effective opportunities to all groups.
- Emphasis Statement: Historically, African Americans, Latinx people, and women have been economically disenfranchised and disconnected from innovation and entrepreneurship. For these reasons, we place an emphasis on these populations as we work to diversify our culture and be inclusive in our daily interactions and decisions.
JumpStart's Operating Style: JumpStart team members are expected to be:
- Honest: We speak the truth, plainly and simply, kindly and considerately. We will challenge you as we seek to accomplish great things. And we hope you will do the same with us.
- Responsive: We respond rapidly to your inquiries and actively communicate so we are all on the same page.
- Resourceful: We will be creative and efficient in helping you to access relationships, contacts and other resources to help you succeed.
- Insightful: We will provide the knowledge and insight about entrepreneurship and innovation you aren't able to easily get from others
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of JumpStart. Since no position description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder's responsibility.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. JumpStart Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers competitive salary & comprehensive benefits (medical, vision, 401k, paid vacation).