Learning Centers and Outreach Curriculum Manager
About JumpStart Inc.
JumpStart is a non-profit venture development organization whose mission is to unlock the full potential of entrepreneurship to transform entire communities. Our vision is to collaborate with partners to generate dramatically improved and inclusive economic outcomes by supporting diverse entrepreneurs, optimizing entrepreneurial ecosystems, and accelerating innovation.
The key to JumpStart's success is its ability to leverage the skills, experience, and creativity of its inspired team to transform entrepreneurial aspirations into actions with measurable impact. JumpStart associates take great pride in making JumpStart a highly demanding yet incredibly fun place to work.
The Learning Center Outreach and Curriculum Manager is a full-time position reporting to the Director, Learning Centers, Curriculum & Education. This role will be responsible for providing instruction and outreach support in this community initiative focused building digital inclusivity and social mobility for under-resourced communities in Cleveland through state-of-the-art community learning Centers for residents from kindergarten age through Adults. This partnership is a four-year commitment, currently funded through December 2025, to create and deliver technology-centered programming focused on four key areas: Digital Literacy, Workforce Readiness, STEM Principles, and 5G Entrepreneurship.
This role will be responsible for supporting many different aspects of the success of the community centers and the hybrid training program (site-based and virtual). Responsibilities include carrying out the day-to-day tasks assigned by the Director, Learning Centers, Curriculum & Education at the specified site. She/he will be responsible for leading program activities, assessment, data collection, testing, and communicating effectively with all program participants and site managers, and the center guest when needed and as assigned by the Director. This position will also support liaising with the site partners for outreach and curriculum development, participation in community-based initiative and engagement with stakeholders aligned to the goals of the initiative. The manager will provide training program selection and the identification of local community training partners. Given this initiative is requires knowledge of many different educational and entrepreneurial skills, teaching combined with strong curriculum development, mentorship, and relationship management, are critical to success.
Essential Job Functions:
65% - Curriculum and Education
- Creates a cohesive set of research-based guidance, frameworks, and tools that support designing and developing curriculum that align to the initiative goals.
- Authors content that reflects or communicates about the department’s objectives and achievements related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Advises on key issues and strategies for incorporating culturally relevant content into the curriculum and related products.
- Leads professional development and personal growth experiences for colleagues and program participants.
- Meets the demands of a deadline-driven environment by adhering to the given timeline for each phase of a workflow.
- Collaborates effectively to make shared decisions with teams regarding curriculum and construction.
- Fosters a culture of trust, collegiality, continuous improvement, and quality.
- Substantial knowledge of and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts within the education field
- Clear, effective, and timely communication (verbal, written, presentational, and interpersonal)
- Proficiency with technology and comfort learning new applications
- Self-directed and works efficiently.
- Comfort providing and receiving direct feedback
- Strong technical writing, evidenced by focus, logical development, cohesion, and correctness
20% - Programming, partner, and outreach management
A major component of this community initiative is to create programming opportunities at each of the sites in line with the vision of the funder and informed by the needs of the community served.
- This role will be responsible for working with local organizations to develop curriculum that can facilitate programming to bridge the digital divide through: (1) digital literacy; (2) STEM education; and (3) Workforce readiness/development and (4) 5G entrepreneurship training opportunities.
- Ensure that outreach efforts include targeted plans to reach specified participants in the community
- Assist in maintaining a strong network among community systems, school systems, area businesses, and take leadership role with school systems.
- Represent the Learning Centers, Jumpstart, and Verizon at area fairs and other events as assigned.
- Distribute brochures, materials, and updates to relevant businesses, churches, social service agencies, service clubs and the community at large.
- Assist in awareness month activities and trainings.
- Communicate important community or partner issues to the Director, Learning Centers, Curriculum & Education.
- Work in partnership with the Sr. Program Coordinator, other JumpStart team members and community stakeholders to develop additional learning opportunities and events for site visitors such as a speaker series, virtual tours, etc…
10% Metrics and reporting
- Support the relationship with the funder’s third-party data aggregation organization in partnership with the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer.
- Support the implementation of a data collection, metric tracking and reporting system aligned to funder expectations (including leveraging the funder-recommended supplier and identifying any necessary integration with JumpStart approach)
- Work with the Sr. Program Coordinator on the collection and management of any data being reported by grant-funded partners or tracked internally at JumpStart
(5%) – Policies and Procedures
- Assist with the documentation of the agreed-up procedures and ensure they have been reviewed by the appropriate parties.
- Work with the Principal and Chief Culture Officer to identify needed policies or updates to JumpStart’s current policies.
- Ensure all volunteers and interns are aware of policies which apply to them and train them on any applicable procedures.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere to Library and JumpStart attendance, time tracking and work schedule policies.
- Follow Library and JumpStart rules, procedures and policies, and performance and behavior expectations.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships. Work in a complex institutional structure requiring significant collaboration with CPL and JumpStart.
- Prepare and submit any expenses or reports as required and in accordance with JumpStart’s expense policy.
- Support other programs and activities of the CPL if they are part of the learning center’s programming.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Decision Making Responsibility
This position requires a high degree of autonomy, business experience and _s_trategic decision-making. The Learning Center Outreach and Curriculum Manager will be managing many project timelines, remote offices and relationships with the funder, contractor(s) and a variety of program partners.
- Program Manager, Digital Learning Centers
- 2 – Site Coordinator, Learning Centers
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Normal office demands. Travel around the city per the work demands.
- Travel outside the city limits up to 25%, but rare.
- This is not a remote role, physical presence with the team and in the centers is critical to success of the initiative.
- Willingness to live and work in Cleveland
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or an accumulation of equivalent experiences
- 7+ years of progressive business and/or management experience in dynamic growing companies or organizations
- Project management oversight for complex projects involving internal and external stakeholders
- Experience managing a team
- Experience managing external parties to timelines and deliverables
- Experience leading the launch of a new initiative or a product
- Experiences with local workforce related initiatives a plus
- Experience collaborating across a group of stakeholders and internally across departments
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Self-starter and problem solver
- Ability to see the larger strategic picture, absorb large amounts of data, draw out key findings and insights and synthesize thoughts in easy to follow, logical and coherent manner
- Ability to relate to all organizational levels and establish credibility and trust with entrepreneurs, community residents and community stakeholders
- Appreciation of all aspects and functions of a business
- Combination of strategic thinker and practical operational execution
- Empathy and people leadership skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Unafraid to switch directions if/when data presents a change is needed
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
- PMP or equivalent preferred, but not required
JumpStart’s Core Values and Key Cultural Behaviors
- Accountability: Act to deliver on commitments and generate results, and if expectations aren’t clear, ask
- Entrepreneurial: Embrace opportunity, continuous improvement, and change, and contribute to the solution as we evolve
- Equity: Committed to corrective action regarding historically underserved and underrepresented populations through entrepreneurship and innovation
- Energy: Address our work with focus, grit and enthusiasm
- Collaboration: Collaborate with others to play our most helpful role(s) and to increase effectiveness
- Humility: Balance self-assurance with listening to understand, having an open mind, and demonstrating patience
JumpStart’s Definitions for Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
- Diversity: A measure of psychological, demographic, physical, and social differences occurring among any and all individuals in a specific group; including but not limited to racial identity, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, age, gender identification, sexual orientation, culture, developmental ability, and learning styles.
- Inclusion: The act of promoting and maintaining an environment in which diverse groups of individuals are welcomed, respected, supported, valued, and empowered. An environment prioritizing differences and offers respect and acceptance in the words/actions/thoughts of all people.
- Equity: An acknowledgment and understanding there are historically underserved and underrepresented populations, and corrective action regarding these unbalanced conditions is needed to eliminate barriers and guarantee equality in the provision of fair treatment, access opportunity, and advancement in the provision of effective opportunities to all groups.
- Emphasis Statement: Historically, African Americans, Latinx people, and women have been economically disenfranchised and disconnected from innovation and entrepreneurship. For these reasons, we place an emphasis on these populations as we work to diversify our culture and be inclusive in our daily interactions and decisions.
JumpStart’s Operating Style: JumpStart team members are expected to be:
- Honest: We speak the truth, plainly and simply, kindly and considerately. We will challenge you as we seek to accomplish great things. And we hope you will do the same with us.
- Responsive: We respond rapidly to your inquiries and actively communicate so we are all on the same page.
- Resourceful: We will be creative and efficient in helping you to access relationships, contacts and other resources to help you succeed.
- Insightful: We will provide the knowledge and insight about entrepreneurship and innovation you aren’t able to easily get from others
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of JumpStart. Since no position description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. JumpStart Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers competitive salary & comprehensive benefits (medical, vision, 401k, paid vacation).