Latino/Hispanic Business Advisor
About JumpStart Inc.
JumpStart is a non-profit venture development organization whose mission is to unlock the full potential of entrepreneurship to transform entire communities and our vision is to collaborate with partners to generate dramatically improved and inclusive economic outcomes by supporting diverse entrepreneurs, optimizing entrepreneurial ecosystems, and accelerating innovation.
The key to JumpStart’s success is its ability to leverage the skills, experience and creativity of its inspired team to transform entrepreneurial aspirations into actions with measurable impact. JumpStart leaders and teammates take great pride in JumpStart being a highly demanding yet incredibly fun place to work.
The Latino/Hispanic Business Advisor is responsible for being the initial point of contact with applicants seeking services and/or capital from JumpStart and its partners. Specifically, the role involves engaging with small business clients, identifying their service needs, providing value-added advising, and making referrals within JumpStart and to our other external services partners. In this capacity, the Latino/Hispanic Business Advisor must maintain continued engagement with clients and partners to track progress and identify clients with highest potential. Given the unique needs of different populations within Northeast Ohio’s Hispanic community, the Latino/Hispanic Business Advisor may develop their own methods and partnerships to ensure Latino/Hispanic clients are supported in the ways they need. Additionally, the Latino/Hispanic Business Advisor supports other members of the Deal Flow, Outreach, and Inclusion teams to ensure key services are delivered and project deadlines are managed, balanced, and met across and within JumpStart. Projects may include designing and executing outreach and educational activities such as programs, classes, workshops, and other events. Coordination with the Inclusion & Outreach teams will be key to creating and executing these activities in effective and culturally competent ways.
Essential Job Functions
- 80% Advisory Services & Client Communications
- Serve as the initial/primary point of contact for Latino/Hispanic services/capital inquiries; ensure prompt responsiveness to companies and be customer-service friendly.
- Establish and guide delivery of value driving priorities and milestones.
- Identify, validate, recommend and/or deliver tactical solutions that drive company growth.
- Determine fit, if applicable, for various services offered by JumpStart, ensuring alignment with criteria for different programs. Document findings and make referrals to appropriate internal JumpStart resources or external service/program providers.
- Coordinate with other team members on the Services team as well as the Inclusion and Outreach teams to provide productive advising to Latino/Hispanic clients.
- Monitor Salesforce client progress tracking information (milestones, assessments, other) and facilitate continued compliance and follow-through.
- Assist as needed on the specific Latino/Hispanic programming initiatives, including emphasis on the JumpStart Impacto Program.
10% Internal & External Resource Awareness
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of requirements for and availability of various resources including available capital to enable accurate referral of applicants to these resources. Ensure rapid hand-off (recognize, understand, and refer). Observe later stage deals as a developmental activity.
- Maintain continued awareness of funding received by clients via other partners.
10% Inclusion & Outreach
- Supports and assists Inclusion & Outreach team with outreach efforts to promote the JumpStart Small Business services and programs in the community, with an emphasis on entrepreneurs living in and/or conducting business in the neighborhoods of Cleveland.
- Targeted neighborhood outreach at community events to promote JumpStart programs and drive traffic to office hours & Call-to-action Events.
- Provide input and recommendations on ways to engage a diverse range of qualified applicants to JumpStart and the NEO ESP Network.
- Work with local community leaders (Pastors, Civic leaders, other partners) to promote JumpStart programs.
- Coordinate with Marketing, Services, Investing, and Inclusion, & Outreach to ensure consistency of messaging and engagement efforts.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- When required attend local and out of state financial information system, accounting conferences, workshops and seminars
- Miscellaneous local bank deposits, supply purchases, mailings and deliveries
- Modest physical activity required for lifting and moving office supplies, equipment, and furniture on occasion
- Normal professional office environment
- Eligible for remote work agreement
- No direct reports
• Willingness to live and work in Cleveland
Education, Training and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• 3+ years of experience in a position with a similar level of responsibility
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Must be proficient in Windows, Windows Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook); familiarity with databases; fluent with e-mail and voice systems also required.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and seeing them through to completion with minimal supervision.
• Ability to understand, communicate and maintain large amounts of information and disseminate this information accurately and efficiently as needed.
• Ability to work effectively with senior executives and stakeholders particularly when under deadline pressure.
• Must be punctual, responsive to requests, and able to meet deadlines.
• Extremely high attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a high degree of professionalism
• Professional appearance and demeanor
• High energy and strong work ethic
• High customer-oriented focus
• Highest personal integrity
Preferred Additional Qualifications
Education, Training and/or Experience
• Fluent in Spanish
• Hands-on experience as an operator in a startup company or small business
• Experience designing & executing activities related to outreach and education.
• Knowledge of and sincere interest in being a part of the local entrepreneurial ecosystem.
• Experience supporting executive leadership teams.
• Experience with Salesforce
JumpStart’s Core Values and Key Cultural Behaviors
• Accountability: Act to deliver on commitments and generate results, and if expectations aren’t clear, ask
• Entrepreneurial: Embrace opportunity, continuous improvement, and change, and contribute to the solution as we evolve
• Equity: Committed to corrective action regarding historically underserved and underrepresented populations through entrepreneurship and innovation
• Energy: Address our work with focus, grit and enthusiasm
• Collaboration: Collaborate with others to play our most helpful role(s) and to increase effectiveness
• Humility: Balance self-assurance with listening to understand, having an open mind, and demonstrating patience
JumpStart’s Definitions for Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
• Diversity: A measure of psychological, demographic, physical, and social differences occurring among any and all individuals in a specific group; including but not limited to racial identity, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, age, gender identification, sexual orientation, culture, developmental ability, and learning styles.
• Inclusion: The act of promoting and maintaining an environment in which diverse groups of individuals are welcomed, respected, supported, valued, and empowered. An environment prioritizing differences and offers respect and acceptance in the words/actions/thoughts of all people.
• Equity: An acknowledgment and understanding there are historically underserved and underrepresented populations, and corrective action regarding these unbalanced conditions is needed to eliminate barriers and guarantee equality in the provision of fair treatment, access opportunity, and advancement in the provision of effective opportunities to all groups.
• Emphasis Statement: Historically, African Americans, Hispanic people, and women have been economically disenfranchised and disconnected from innovation and entrepreneurship. For these reasons, we place an emphasis on these populations as we work to diversify our culture and be inclusive in our daily interactions and decisions.
JumpStart’s Operating Style: JumpStart team members are expected to be:
• Honest: We speak the truth, plainly and simply, kindly and considerately. We will challenge you as we seek to accomplish great things. And we hope you will do the same with us.
• Responsive: We respond rapidly to your inquiries and actively communicate so we are all on the same page.
• Resourceful: We will be creative and efficient in helping you to access relationships, contacts and other resources to help you succeed.
• Insightful: We will provide the knowledge and insight about entrepreneurship and innovation you aren’t able to easily get from others.
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of JumpStart. Since no position description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.