About JumpStart Inc.
JumpStart is a non-profit venture development organization that unlocks the full potential of diverse and ambitious entrepreneurs to economically transform entire communities. We provide a combination of funding and high-impact assistance for entrepreneurs and small business owners while also managing the Northeast and Northwest Ohio ESP Networks, a collaborative group of entrepreneurial support organizations located throughout Northeast Ohio.
JumpStart has also built a national reputation as a champion for greater diversity—winning numerous awards, including the 2017 Ohio Martin Luther King Jr. Economic Opportunity Award, for our strong commitment to economic inclusion. We strive to find new ways to connect with entrepreneurs and small business owners in traditionally underserved communities, and we also believe in creating/maintaining a diverse internal team to maximize our own performance as an organization. Thus, we are actively seeking candidates who will bring racial, ethnic and/or gender diversity to this role.
Key to JumpStart’s success is its ability to leverage the skills, experience and creativity of its inspired team to transform entrepreneurial aspirations into actions with measurable impact. JumpStart associates take great pride in making JumpStart a highly demanding yet incredibly fun place to work.
The Research and Data intern will work closely with JumpStart’s Data team and Entrepreneurial Services Program team to support data driven evaluations of its programs through in-depth reviews of current data and reports. This project will provide the intern a unique opportunity to better understand database structuring, learn PowerBI and DAX programming languages, produce data visualizations, create surveys in Qualtrics, and get an introduction into grant reporting. In addition, the intern will be expected to be intellectually curious in their approach to internal and external data.
• Assist with collection of outcome metrics for JumpStart programs. This will include creating and reviewing surveys in Qualtrics as well as engaging with key stakeholders to ensure consistent and complete tracking of data.
• Assist with the evaluation of reporting metrics for JumpStart programs. This will include reviewing reports of data before they are sent to JumpStart staff and key stakeholders as well as assisting in the creation of visualizations of data using Excel, PowerBI.
• Assist in the design and upkeep of JumpStart’s Salesforce.com instance.
• Support JumpStart team with gathering financial and entrepreneurial data, data entry, and analysis on an ad hoc basis.
• Must be intellectually curious and willing to ask questions.
• Current graduate or undergraduate student in statistics, economics, computer science or a related field. Candidates in other majors that can demonstrate experience with quantitative analysis or research are also encouraged to apply.
• Proficiency in conducting research and experience programming and managing data sets preferred.
• Prior use or knowledge of computer languages, database systems and/or statistical analysis packages gained through prior work or classroom experience is preferred.
• Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
This position is for a full year for 16 to 20 hours per week. Hours may be increased during the summer. Interns are expected to work during normal business hours in 4-hour (half day) or 8-hour (full day) increments. This position has the option to be partially remote.
A 3-5-page writing sample demonstrating the results of a quantitative research project is required upon request.
JumpStart’s Core Values and Key Cultural Behaviors
• Accountability: Act to deliver on commitments and generate results, and if expectations aren’t clear, ask
• Entrepreneurial: Embrace opportunity, continuous improvement, and change, and contribute to the solution as we evolve
• Equity: Committed to corrective action regarding historically underserved and underrepresented populations through entrepreneurship and innovation
• Energy: Address our work with focus, grit and enthusiasm
• Collaboration: Collaborate with others to play our most helpful role(s) and to increase effectiveness
• Humility: Balance self-assurance with listening to understand, having an open mind, and demonstrating patience
JumpStart’s Definitions for Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
• Diversity: A measure of psychological, demographic, physical, and social differences occurring among any and all individuals in a specific group; including but not limited to racial identity, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, age, gender identification, sexual orientation, culture, developmental ability, and learning styles.
• Inclusion: The act of promoting and maintaining an environment in which diverse groups of individuals are welcomed, respected, supported, valued, and empowered. An environment prioritizing differences and offers respect and acceptance in the words/actions/thoughts of all people.
• Equity: An acknowledgment and understanding there are historically underserved and underrepresented populations, and corrective action regarding these unbalanced conditions is needed to eliminate barriers and guarantee equality in the provision of fair treatment, access opportunity, and advancement in the provision of effective opportunities to all groups.
• Emphasis Statement: Historically, African Americans, Latinx people, and women have been economically disenfranchised and disconnected from innovation and entrepreneurship. For these reasons, we place an emphasis on these populations as we work to diversify our culture and be inclusive in our daily interactions and decisions.
JumpStart’s Operating Style: JumpStart team members are expected to be:
• Honest: We speak the truth, plainly and simply, kindly and considerately. We will challenge you as we seek to accomplish great things. And we hope you will do the same with us.
• Responsive: We respond rapidly to your inquiries and actively communicate so we are all on the same page.
• Resourceful: We will be creative and efficient in helping you to access relationships, contacts and other resources to help you succeed.
• Insightful: We will provide the knowledge and insight about entrepreneurship and innovation you aren’t able to easily get from others
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of JumpStart. Since no position description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. JumpStart Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers competitive salary & comprehensive benefits (medical, vision, 401k, paid vacation).