Events & Logistics Manager
About JumpStart Inc.
JumpStart is a non-profit venture development organization whose mission is to unlock the full potential of entrepreneurship to transform entire communities. Our vision is to collaborate with partners to generate dramatically improved and inclusive economic outcomes by supporting diverse entrepreneurs, optimizing entrepreneurial ecosystems, and accelerating innovation.
The key to JumpStart’s success is its ability to leverage the skills, experience, and creativity of its inspired team to transform entrepreneurial aspirations into actions with measurable impact. JumpStart associates take great pride in making JumpStart a highly demanding yet incredibly fun place to work.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Strategic Marketing & Communications, the incumbent is responsible for the strategy, development, and production of all JumpStart events.
The Events & Logistics Manager is an experienced, highly detail-oriented professional with the ability to manage the planning, administration, and logistics ranging from community to corporate and government-related large-scale, multi-organization events. The person will develop and coordinate events designed to support JumpStart's mission across Northern Ohio. Particularly in geographies where JumpStart has a local team presence (Cleveland, Toledo, and Canton, Ohio), including but not limited to small networking style events, government relations, board meetings, and large conferences. In addition, this role supports and coordinates the utilization of JumpStart facilities by outside partners, clients and stakeholders for private/public events and meetings.
The person will work with internal and external clients and is responsible for aspects of the events project management process that include, but are not limited to, requirements gathering, specifications, event plans, budgets, and production schedules while maintaining a status report and timeline for all events and a wide variety of projects with multiple deliverables. The person will also be responsible for keeping track of the overall events budget.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand overall JumpStart objectives and marketing objectives/strategies to inform and design an organization wide annual calendar which leverages events to achieve objectives
- Conducts short- and long-term planning and management for events to achieve organizational objectives.
- Responsible for overall event leadership including all planning and day-of production for all events in which JumpStart is the lead, and as a partner to other organizations.
- Communicate timelines, processes and event updates as required by the Sr. Director of Marketing or other internal key stakeholders to support the successful completion of the event and/or conference
- Inform budget for each event, manage and control costs.
- Develop, manage, and execute multiple event strategies designed to generate deal flow for JumpStart funds and programs
- Design and lead the execution of all events including identification and selection of event locations, contracts with vendors, food and beverage arrangements, speakers coordination, staff volunteer roles, layouts, technical production needs (e.g., audio, video or recording), materials, and other aspects of events
- Enlist and coordinate speakers, content, and run of show development in collaboration with the rest of the MarCom team
- Prepare staffing and volunteer roles and schedules for each event
- Create and devise room layouts based on event needs including seating arrangements, and stage setting
- Lead process of ensuring event materials and plans are finalized including nametags, materials, notebooks, registration lists, seating cards, etc. in collaboration with other staffers; create the inventory list for each event, source and manage inventory
- Assist with conference and event collateral design, print management and shipping aspects of the event
- Consider needs of all sponsors/partners and build event plans to meet those needs. Ensure all deliverables for sponsors are met.
- Propose new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process
- Serve as primary liaison with vendors or staff members on event-related matters
- Lead and managing on-site production and clean up, as necessary
- Assist with post-event reporting activities including (but not limited to) attendance, surveys, or follow-up communications
- Serve as liaison and coordinate utilization of JumpStart facilities by outside partners, clients and stakeholders for private/public events and meetings; set schedule, provide guidance on use of space and coordinate internal departments (Facilities, IT, Administration) to support logistics as needed.
- Accept other duties as assigned
The Events and Logistics Manager must be able to anticipate event needs, discern work priorities and meet deadlines and negotiate contracts with little supervision. The person must be able to communicate effectively and lead teammates (as well as others) through difficult or challenging situations and circumstances and decisions if need be. The person must have analytical and problem-solving capabilities and be able to conduct basic online research. The person should also be able to elicit assistance and cooperation from a wide variety of sources.
- Oversee and coordinate vendors, as needed.
- Interns, at varied times throughout the year
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Some city, regional, and in-state travel (50%) and evening and weekends when necessary
- Hybrid work environment, essential in office presence with remote work options
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Associates or bachelor's degree
- Five or more years of corporate, large-scale event management and or marketing project management experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Commitment to JumpStart's mission and desire to work diligently to enable the fulfillment of the mission and demonstration of organizational values
- Desire and commitment to build a career in the marketing or communications fields including openness or stated desire to learn a broad set of marketing skills
- Ability to embrace shifting priorities, demands and timelines while staying cool under pressure
- Ability to build strong relationships and provide outstanding customer service with internal and external clients
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments from a variety of staff
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism
- Ability to accomplish projects on time, on budget with little supervision
- Fantastic customer service ethic and high expectations for quality
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Agency and or event hospitality management experience preferred
JumpStart's Core Values and Key Cultural Behaviors
- Accountability: Act to deliver on commitments and generate results, and if expectations aren't clear, ask
- Entrepreneurial: Embrace opportunity, continuous improvement, and change, and contribute to the solution as we evolve
- Equity: Committed to corrective action regarding historically underserved and underrepresented populations through entrepreneurship and innovation
- Energy: Address our work with focus, grit, and enthusiasm
- Collaboration: Collaborate with others to play our most helpful role(s) and to increase effectiveness
- Humility: Balance self-assurance with listening to understand, having an open mind, and demonstrating patience
JumpStart's Definitions for Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
- Diversity: A measure of psychological, demographic, physical, and social differences occurring among any and all individuals in a specific group; including but not limited to racial identity, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, age, gender identification, sexual orientation, culture, developmental ability, and learning styles.
- Inclusion: The act of promoting and maintaining an environment where diverse groups of individuals are welcomed, respected, supported, valued, and empowered. An environment prioritizing differences and offers respect and acceptance in all people's words/actions/thoughts.
- Equity: An acknowledgment and understanding there are historically underserved and underrepresented populations and corrective action regarding these unbalanced conditions are needed to eliminate barriers and guarantee equality in the provision of fair treatment, access opportunity, and advancement in the provision of effective opportunities to all groups.
- Emphasis Statement: Historically, African Americans, Latinx people, and women have been economically disenfranchised and disconnected from innovation and entrepreneurship. For these reasons, we place an emphasis on these populations as we work to diversify our culture and be inclusive in our daily interactions and decisions.
JumpStart's Operating Style: JumpStart team members are expected to be:
- Honest: We speak the truth, plainly and simply, kindly and considerately. We will challenge you as we seek to accomplish great things. And we hope you will do the same with us.
- Responsive: We respond rapidly to your inquiries and actively communicate so we are all on the same page.
- Resourceful: We will be creative and efficient in helping you to access relationships, contacts and other resources to help you succeed.
- Insightful: We will provide the knowledge and insight about entrepreneurship and innovation you aren't able to easily get from others
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of JumpStart. Since no position description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder's responsibility. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. JumpStart Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers competitive salary & comprehensive benefits (medical, vision, 401k, paid vacation).