Based in Valley View, Ohio, Bessemer Management Company has 85+ years of experience in the flatbed, intermodal, and over-dimensional trucking industries, as well as equipment leasing and third-party logistics management.
Our family of companies is primarily comprised of a network of 2,400 trucks spread across two flatbed trucking companies (Kaplan Trucking and Eastern Express), two intermodal trucking companies (Horizon Freight System and TRX) and one heavy-haul/over-dimensional trucking company (DD&S Express).
We’re growing and in need of several individuals to fill a variety of full-time in-person/in-office roles within our family of companies, including: Accounts Receivable, Safety Compliance, Safety ELDs/eLogs, Applications, and Operations. Even if you have never been in roles like these before (or have never worked in trucking or transportation before), don’t rule us out: we will teach you everything you need to know.
We consider these roles somewhat entry-level in nature, but they are great stepping stones to future opportunities within our company. We take our employees' skillsets, natural abilities, and interests seriously and are intentional about making sure each person is challenged in their role and that they genuinely enjoy their daily work!
Bottom line: we are most interested in finding the right people for our overall business and culture than matching an exact set of skills – so if you’re looking for a change or something new to challenge you, please apply!
You are our ideal candidate if you:
- Have a bachelor’s degree (preferred, not required), a high school diploma, or a GED.
- Have previously worked in a professional office setting or completed an internship.
- Enjoy helping others. In our case, “others” includes co-workers, your supervisor, customers, terminals/agents, and owner-operators (truck drivers).
- Take pride in and ownership of your work. You’re willing to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done and would say you have a strong work ethic.
- Are a self-driven, self-starter who isn’t afraid of working in a fast-paced, rapidly-evolving environment.
- Are a strong communicator, whether in-person, on the phone, or using email. You understand the importance of recognizing tone on phone calls/in email and how to appropriately respond, especially in situations where cultural/international differences are prevalent.
- Value follow-up and believe it’s important to make sure that everyone around you has the information they need so nothing “falls through the cracks.”
- Enjoy learning and/or would describe yourself as a “lifelong learner.” You’re curious to learn about other departments and business functions beyond what you do on a daily basis to help you “connect the dots” in your role.
- Ask questions when you don’t fully understand something or need help.
- Can manage priorities based on direction and guidance from your supervisor. When priorities shift or an emergent situation arises, you can exhibit “grace under pressure.”
- Are able to handle conflict resolution/de-escalation of difficult situations with the backing of your supervisor.
- Would describe yourself as organized (or more organized) than most other people you know.
- Can multi-task without losing track of details.
- Can manage deadlines that involve repetitive or redundant tasks (for example, data entry).
- Have the ability to instruct/teach/walk others through step-by-step processes.
- Can work both alongside a team and independently.
- Have a knack for problem-solving and creative thinking. You enjoy and are good at brainstorming with your co-workers to come up with “outside the box,” ethical, and professional solutions to problems and win-win compromises.
- Generally have a positive attitude and friendly demeanor that allows you to cultivate professional working relationships with those around you.
- You have at least a basic understanding of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
If what’s described above sounds like you, we are even more interested in talking to you if you also:
- Can speak Spanish or other languages in addition to English.
- You have previous trucking or logistics experience.
A Little More About Who We Are:
- We are only as good as how well we take care of our drivers. Our drivers are among the most experienced, professional, and hard-working people you’ll meet and we take our commitment to them seriously because without them our business wouldn’t exist.
- We’re not perfect, but we do our best to take care of our employees. We value our employees’ experience and knowledge – it’s in large part due to their efforts that we’ve enjoyed the success we have for so many years.
- We remain true to our roots and are intentional about not sacrificing our culture simply for the sake of growth. Even though we are a large company that enjoys the benefits of a larger operation, we are not “corporate” and never intend to be.
- We have a “roll up our sleeves” mentality. We work hard, but we do it together and make sure to find ways to still have fun and celebrate our successes and each other.
- We don’t believe in standing still. We’re always looking for ways to improve and evolve.
- Because we manage several different types of trucking operations, we are a stable, diversified business. And, unlike many trucking companies that are publicly-traded or owned by private equity, we are proud to be an independent company.
- We’re in it for the long-term, which is why honesty, responsiveness, accuracy, and teamwork mean a lot to us. We don’t chase short-term gain at the expense of our long-term business.
- Most of us work out of our beautiful, still very much brand new-feeling Corporate Office building that we built and moved into in April 2018. We’re located on the corner of Rockside and Canal in Valley View about 1.5 miles off of I-77, so we have convenient access to much of northeast Ohio.